An increasing number of containers are being designated by Shipping Lines for empty return direct into stevedore terminals (CTO’S) rather than the usual Empty Container Parks (ECP’S). This is placing extra pressure on all transport companies operationally as outlined below:
- Slot Availability not coinciding with drop off is not always available or possible
- Double Handling (Staging) of containers due to less empty slot availability
- No show penalties for missed or late dehire which are not charged by ECP’s
- Longer truck turnarounds in comparison to ECP’s
- Increased chance of Shipping Line detention fees
Each empty container to be delivered direct to the terminal will also require an electronic Port Receival advice (PRA) to be lodged prior to drop off. Transport companies are now introducing fees for direct dehire to shipping terminals and PRA lodgement.
We will request de-hire to ECP’s if possible however there will be occasions where we are forced to de-hire direct to terminal and we unfortunately have no control over this. Unfortunately this operational change will require the introduction of new fees as a cost recovery measure.
If you have any questions regarding this please contact your Account Manager.